Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: just bought a canon 814E and need some help

  1. #1
    Inactive Member partycasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ive just bought an 814E with no manual.I was wondering if some could help me with a quick run through of all the dials.( I can work an SLR camera so I know terms etc). Once I know what everything does I'm set(I cant seem to find a manual anywhere and its to expensive to buy from someone in the US cause Im from australia.
    Hope someone can help.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Partycasket. If you have shot with an SLR than this should be a snap!

    Your basic features are frames per second speed options, manual exposure control, there might be an ASA adjust feature but I'm not sure, an internal filter selection switch, super-slow motion, motorized zoom option...

    Just describe the button and someone will tell you what it does.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Speed dial is 1, 18, 24. 1 is for single frame 18 & 24 are frames per second.

    slow motion is pulled down for instant 40 frames per second.

    Variable shutter is the large dial. Should have 0, 2, 4, C on it. O is fully open at 150 degrees, 2 is half (75 degrees), 4 quarter open and C is closed (no light gets through). Used for performing fades or changing shutter speed without changing filming speed.

    lever marked with a dot, 2 & 4 is light meter compensation when variable shutter is changed.

    power switch is marked Off, R, RL. R is for regular filming and RL is runlock for continuous filming without having to hold the trigger.

    Exposure dial says Pull-up - manual. leave it pushed in for automatic metering or pull it up and turn for manually setting f/stop. Power must be on to work

    This is from memory so let me know what I missed.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member oldasdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2003
    Posts
    362
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I used to have the 1014 so I'm not sure if there is much difference other than the extra zoom the 1014 has over the 814.
    If that's the case,there should also be a switch on the camera to activate fades and dissolves.It's a slide switch,you move it and as you shoot,the camera begins an automatic fade and shuts itself down at the end of the fade.You then turn the shutter knob back , and the film backwinds itself to the beginning of the fade.Then you shoot your fade in part of the dissolve.
    I think the 814 has that,though I'm not sure.If not,just dismiss my ramblings.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by oldasdirt:

    If that's the case,there should also be a switch on the camera to activate fades and dissolves.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">That's only on the 1014. 814 is manual fades only.

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh NOOOOO, NOT THE RED BUTTON, don't push the red button!!!!

    Kidding.

    I'm just guessing that it is the battery test function??? By the way does anyone know how the light meter is powered?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member partycasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just a reply to say thanks for the awesome response from all you guys.Thanks again!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member partycasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2004
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry I forgot to ask.What is the little red button on the top right hand corner just next to the little clocks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •